Happenings at a Glance:
November 23, 2017 Free Community Thanksgiving Dinner
November 23, 2017 Youth Basketball
November 23, 2017 Open Fellowship Worship
November 24, 2017 Vino Salida Free Concert
November 24, 2017 Game Night
November 25, 2017 Small Business Saturday!
November 25, 2017 Community Dog Walk
November 25, 2017 Vino Salida Free Concert
November 26, 2017 VFW Breakfast
November 26, 2017 Open Gym Volleyball
November 27, 2017 Youth Basketball
November 28, 2017 Adult Basketball
November 28, 2017 Hip Hop Dance Class
November 29, 2017 Youth Dance Class
November 29, 2017 Wayfinding Community Mtg
November 29, 2017 Salida Old Time Music Jam
November 30, 2017 Youth Basketball
November 30, 2017 Open Fellowship Worship
December 1, 2017 Collegiate Peaks Choral Concert
December 2, 2017 Christmas Opening
AIARE Avalanche Rescue
A STAND ALONE COURSE THAT IS INTENDED TO BE RETAKEN ON A REGULAR BASIS IN ORDER TO KEEP ABREAST OF BEST PRACTICES IN RESCUE TECHNIQUES AND GEAR
New participants will learn the basics of companion rescue, while return participants will expand their skill set with advanced topics and realistic scenario practice to help improve their skills after the course. Each participant will have the opportunity to receive professional coaching their rescue skills and will receive a rescue card acknowledging completion date at course end.
November 19th, 2017
December 10th, 2017
January 6th, 2018
February 3rd, 2018 LEARN MORE @ BVMountainAdventures.com
WORK TO BEGIN ON NEW TRAFFIC LIGHT SIGNAL AT US 24 AND CROSSMAN AVE IN BUENA VISTA
Community invited to public information meeting:
BUENA VISTA, CO – Starting on Monday, November 20, crews from CDOT and Technology Constructors, Inc. will begin installing a new traffic signal at the intersection of US Highway (US) 24 and Crossman Avenue. The work is expected to take four to five weeks, but is highly weather dependent.
BACKGROUND: The new signal stems from a region-wide intersection priority study that was conducted in 2014-15. Local agencies nominated over 100 locations across Region 5 for the study. The intersection of US 24 in the vicinity of Crossman Avenue sees as many as 11,000 vehicles per day and Crossman sees approximately 1,400 vehicles per day. Due to the traffic volumes and crash history, the town of Buena Vista, San Luis Valley Transportation Planning Region and CDOT included US 24 and Crossman in the study. The study analysis determined US 24 and Crossman eligible to receive some safety funding to build a new traffic signal.
The addition of this new traffic signal is a continuation of the intersection reconstruction project from last year on US 24. In addition to the pavement reconstruction and left turn lane striping, underground infrastructures such as electrical conduit were put in place to minimize the amount of re-work necessary to install the new traffic signal.
Improvements will include pedestrian crosswalks, pedestrian signals activated by push button, handicapped accessible curb ramps in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), and vehicle detection capable of detecting both motorized and bicycle traffic. The new traffic signal, itself, will have similar circular light heads and left turn arrow indications, similar to the signal at US 24 and Main. Construction of this traffic signal will enhance the safety for motor vehicles and multi-modal users along this busy corridor.
PUBLIC MEETING: A public meeting will be held on Thursday, November 16 at 6:00 p.m. at the Buena Vista Community Center, 715 E. Main St. CDOT Traffic Engineer, Tommy Humphrey, will be on hand to answer questions, as well as members of the project team including the contractor, Technology Constructors, Inc.
- Work on US Highway 24 is scheduled to begin Monday, November 20.
- Normal working hours will be from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. In special cases these hours may be extended.
- Weekend work also may occur if a need is determined and agreed upon.
- If winter weather prevents progress of expected 4-5 week work schedule, the project location will be left in a safe and usable condition until work can resume.
- All pedestrians and motorized vehicles should expect travel impacts throughout the construction project.
- Detailed information will be disseminated on a weekly basis and updated when more significant impacts are expected.
Contact Information & Notifications For more information, or if you would like to be added to our public outreach list to receive construction updates, please contact us at:
- Phone: 970-946-1935
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Alert Signup and Website Updates: http://bit.ly/BV_Intersection_US24_Crossman
If you are interested in having your business announcement added to the weekly announcements please:
- Send any attachments as a .jpg – the preferred format – all others will be converted as needed;
- Create your announcement using 500 pixels wide with a 96 dpi;
- All announcements must be in by 5PM on Tuesday.
- Please use the Submit Announcements page in the member hub, or email marketing@BuenaVistaColorado.org