Buena Vista Geocaching Journey
May 1, 2017 through April 30, 2018
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices (smart phone).
Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
The Buena Vista Geocaching Journey takes you on an adventure throughout Chaffee County, Colorado USA home of the Upper Arkansas River Valley and The Collegiate Peaks. Our Geocache Journey has been created for you to discover hidden gems, historically significant locations and some of the most popular spots in our stunning area. It’s perfect for families, geocaching newbies and seasoned “cachers” alike. The word Geocaching refers to GEO for geography, and to CACHING, the process of hiding a cache (treasure box). Photo to the left: Buena Vista, Colorado, USA, Present-Day Present-Day Image, Courtesy of Baby Doe Studios
Buena Vista Geocaching Journey Prizes
In each cache box there is a special First to Find (FTF) prize that is custom made leather from our creative community.
Collect 30 Points on your Passport and WIN a Geo-Medal (shown on the left)
Collect 40 Points and WIN a Geo-Medal and Custom Hat
Collect 50 Points and WIN a Geo-Medal and Leather Credit Card Holder (shown here)
Click Here to Download
your Buena Vista Geocaching Journey
The passport tracks cache finds, i.e. once the cache is found there is a special punch inside to then punch one’s passport. Geocachers receive one point for each cache find (up to 25 points, 3 points for each nights lodging, 3 points for an adventure event per person, and 2 points per person for a meal. Prizes are awarded for 30, 40, and 50 point levels.
A Very Special THANK YOU to our Participating Businesses:
N 38° 50.093 W 106° 07.685
Brown Dog Website
N 38° 50.107 W 106° 07.728
N 38° 50.755 W 106° 08.080
N 38° 50.567 W 106° 07.773
Asian Palate Website
N 38° 50.305 W 106° 07.880
Princeton Club Restaurant
N 38° 43.952 W 106° 09.791
Mount Princeton Website
N 38° 50.378 W 106° 07.916
N 38° 50.707 W 106° 08.078
Evergreen Cafe Website
Pizza Works 719.966.5566
Pizza Works 719.966.5566 Website
N 38° 50.802 W 106° 08.126
N 38° 50.833 W 106° 08.169
N 38° 50.359 W 106° 07.906
N 38° 50.132 W 106° 07.722
N 38° 51.919 W 106° 08.327
Mountain River Inn Website
Join the Adventure
Twenty-five geocaches have been hidden throughout our majestic and historic Chaffee County, Colorado. Only 17% of the lands in Chaffee County are private lands so geocachers have 83% of public lands to play in and explore!
Due to the protection afforded by the Front Range (Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs) to the east and the Sawatch Mountains to the west, the valley is known as the “Banana Belt” and offers a mildly temperate climate, allowing for exceptional recreational and tourist conditions year-round.
Flowing through the valley is the Arkansas River, Colorado’s #1 rafted river with Brown Canyon national Monument, and two river parks. You can be enjoying adventures on the Arkansas River and within 30 minutes be on top of the continental divide via Cottonwood Pass and Monarch Pass. We are also home to two odorless, natural hot springs; Mt. Princeton and Cottonwood. Hiking, mountain biking, ATV and 4-wheel drive trails, whitewater rafting, kayaking, gold medal fly fishing, two hot springs, rock hounding, mining, skiing, snowmobiling and much more can be enjoyed in Chaffee County. There are numerous ghost towns and old mining camps, such as St. Elmo and Mary Murphy Mine.
Buena Vista elevation is 8,000 feet. We have twelve 14,000 foot mountains and 360° spectacular views. Thus our town is appropriately named “beautiful view.” Salida has the largest historic district and is a Creative District. Salida offers a large variety of galleries and numerous things to do. Nearby Monarch Mountain has 100% natural snow for skiing/boarding, and the summit at 11,952 feet offers stunning high pass views.
Sponsoring the Buena Vista Geocaching Journey is a great way to showcase your business as well as support the community and the Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce. Sign up now to be a sponsor. Many sponsorship levels and benefits are available.
How to Take Part
- Visit Geocaching.com for a free basic membership and to register your username.
- Find Buena Vista Geocaching Journey caches and use the cooresponding alphabetical letter “hole punch” in each cache on your passport. For example, the Clear Creek Fishing Accesss cache has the letter “A” punch in the cache.
- Log your finds at Geocaching.com.
- Cache, eat and sleep in Chaffee County Geocache Journey sponsor’s locations until you have the required points to win the GeoCoin and other prizes to be announced prior to May 1, 2017.
- Fill out your passport and return the passport to the Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center (38.8388° N, 106.1306° W) 343 US-24 S, Buena Vista, CO 81211 or mail PO Box 2021, Buena Vista, CO 81211 USA. The Buena Vista Chamber is open Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm. It is also open Saturday’s during the summer months. Or, you can drop off at our sponsor at Best Western Vista Inn (38.8374° N, 106.1305° W) 733 US-24, Buena Vista, CO 81211 USA.
- Find out more about our Geocaching Journey by visiting www.Geocaching.com/.
- You do not need to document the caches in any order to win prizes.
- Prizes are subject to change and are only available while supplies last.