Happenings at a Glance:
August 30, 2017 GARNA Habitat & Wildlife
August 30, 2017 Salida Old-Time Music Jam
Aug. 30 – Sept. 4, 2017 SUP Sale
September 1, 2017 BV Farmers Market
September 1, 2017 FREE Concert at the Beach
September 1, 2017 ART Reception
September 1, 2017 American Legion BINGO
September 1 – 5, 2017 Drive In Wonder Woman
September 2, 2017 Optimist Pancake Breakfast
September 2, 2017 Community Dog Walk
September 2, 2017 Kids Fishing Derby
September 2, 2017 ART Show
September 2, 2017 Red Deer Rendezvous
September 2, 2017 Intro to Nosework
September 3, 2017 ART Show
September 4, 2017 Intro to Agility
September 4, 2017 Reactive Rover
September 5, 2017 HIP HOP Dance
Chaffee Arts Council ART show starts with an opening reception, Friday night September 1st from 6:00-8:00pm. It runs Saturday, September 2nd from 10:00am-5:00pm and also on Sunday, September 3rd from 10:00am-3:00pm. Please join us!
We are also needing local businesses and art enthusiasts to help sponsor this event. If you are interested in showing your Art or sponsoring the event, please contact the Secretary, Denise Mullen at 719-395-5808 or email at email@example.com. Thank You.
Buena Vista Citizen of the Year – Please submit your nomination for Citizen of the Year NOW! Please nominate your favorite Citizen of the Year – Nominee must be a VOLUNTEER who has gone above and beyond the call of duty AND did not accept or receive personal gain. Submit nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org
Work to Begin in Downtown Salida After Labor Day Weekend
SALIDA, CO – The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and Technology Constructors Incorporated (TCI) will begin construction to improve the intersection of F Street and 1st Street on Tuesday, September 5, following the Labor Day weekend. During the first week of construction, the road will be open to through traffic with a four-way stop at the intersection. Starting Monday, September 11, a full closure of the intersection will be in place for vehicles as well as a detour using 2nd Street and Sackett. The area will be fully open to pedestrian traffic during the entire construction phase.
The Salida community, downtown businesses and city council were given the opportunity to vote on different options for closures while the work was taking place – a partial closure with one lane of traffic and longer work schedule, or a full closure of the intersection with a shorter schedule. The vote was almost unanimous for a full closure, shortening the time of the project while also creating a safer work zone for everyone.
Construction to improve the intersection of F Street and 1st Street includes the following multi-model upgrades:
- Curb extensions to shorten the crossing distance for pedestrians
- Intersection reconstruction with concrete pavement and an asphalt overlay on the 1st St (SH 291) approaches to the intersection to increase pavement life
- ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) ramps to improve accessibility
- Removal and replacement of old signals with corresponding above and below ground infrastructure upgrades
- Short left turn lanes for vehicles on 1st Street
- Upgraded vehicle detection that works for both motorists and cyclists
- Motorcycle parking
- An exclusive pedestrian phase s (i.e., all vehicular traffic signals display red while all-way pedestrian signal phase is active)
- Replacement of old City of Salida waterline
- Detour – There will be a full closure for motorized vehicles at the intersection of F Street and 1st Street throughout the project. For one block in every direction from the intersection, vehicle entry will be restricted to business access and parking only. Eastbound traffic will use 2nd Street for the detour. Westbound traffic will use Sackett.
- Parking – There will be parking available for business access with one lane open in every direction up to 75 feet from the intersection work zone. All other parking will be outside of the construction zone.
- Alleyways – Alleys within the construction zone will be limited to business access only.
- Signage – At both the US Highway 285/State Highway 291 and US Highway 50/State Highway 291 intersections, there will be digital signage informing travelers of the construction and that DOWNTOWN SALIDA IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS. There also will be NO THOUGH COMMERCIAL TRUCKS on SH 291 warnings.
- Schedule – Work will begin on Tuesday, September 5 and is anticipated to be completed by the end of October. Normal working hours will be from 7 AM to 7 PM, Monday through Friday. In special cases these hours may be extended. Weekend work may also occur.
- Project Benefits
- Crash/crash potential reduction of motorized vehicle vs. pedestrian crashes because of the curb extensions and the exclusive pedestrian signal phase
- Left turn lanes make the intersection safer and more efficient
- Better accessibility for persons with disabilities
- Upgrades will encourage slow traffic in the area for enhanced safety
TRAFFIC IMPACTS: For approximately the first 2 weeks in September, road construction will be taking place at two Salida signalized intersection locations: F Street and 1st Street plus US Highway 50 and County Road 111. Pedestrians and motorized vehicles should expect travel impacts throughout the construction zones at both locations. Impacts for 1st Street and F Street will be more extensive due to the project’s scope and the constrained space.
STAY INFORMED: The public is encouraged to sign up for updates to stay informed. Subscribe for updates, which will be updated weekly, by contacting the project hotline phone number 970-946-1935 and/or email address at email@example.com. To receive more information and/or lane closure updates on Colorado state highways, visit CDOT’s website at www.codot.gov.
High Country Bank is proud to announce its August Charities of the Month; Chaffee County Search and Rescue South in Salida, Chaffee County Search and Rescue North in Buena Vista, and Fremont County Search and Rescue in Cañon City. High Country Bank has been choosing a Charity of the Month for over 20 years. All notary fees for the given month are donated to this charity, along with a $100.00 donation to that organization. There are also donation jars next to each teller window which allow the public to make a donation to the organization as well. We are grateful to have the opportunity to engage our neighbors and work with them in “Building Futures Together.”
Visit us at www.highcountrybank.net. Member FDIC. NMLS # 419324
The 4th Annual #BVStrong Community Dinner
Monday, September 25, 2017. Join your friends and neighbors at dinner down the middle of Main Street, with the majestic Collegiate Peaks as our backdrop.
We are a community that’s diverse in opinions and ideas; yet on this night, we focus on all we have in common as we eat together at one table. We embrace the people we love and celebrate those we’ve lost, cheer our accomplishments, and anticipate the return to “just us” as the summer season winds down.
All are welcome, and there’s a seat for everyone at our table. Our beautiful views are surpassed only by the beautiful people who call BV home!
The simple mission of the BV Strong Community Dinner Planning Team is, “Just dinner!” We strive to create a locally-funded and locally-organized annual activity where the residents of Buena Vista come together in a nonpolitical, noncommercial, non-promotional event to share food and friendship as we celebrate and nurture a sense of community.
Reserve your table – give – host- help http://www.bvstrong.com/
If you are interested in having your business announcement added to the weekly announcements please:
- Send any attachments as a .jpg – the preferred format – all others will be converted as needed;
- Create your announcement using 500 pixels wide with a 96 dpi;
- All announcements must be in by 5PM on Tuesday.
- Please use the Submit Announcements page in the member hub, or email marketing@BuenaVistaColorado.org